To learn more about a particular activity for student engagement, select the activity’s link in the top row of the table below. A pdf with details including an overview, ways to implement the activity, and sample instructions, will open.
- Scroll to the right to see more columns of activities and their corresponding answers to the questions that are listed in the legend below the table.
- To locate a specific activity, use the search textbox above the table.
- The columns are arranged in ascending order (alphabetically or numerically) by default. To sort the rows of the table in descending order, click the back arrow in the first column of the row. To return to ascending order, click the forward arrow.
Contact an instructional designer at email@example.com if you would like help tailoring or combining these activities to fit your students’ needs.
|Activity||Type||Active Time (minutes)||Grading Effort||Content Delivery||Discussion||Content Check||Summary||Feedback||Tool|
|Blogs /Vlogs||Individual or Group||30||Medium||✔||✔||✔||✔||Peer/ Instructor||Public blog|
|Case Study||Individual or Group||30||High||?||✔||✔||?||Peer/ Instructor||Padlet/Discussion board/TopHat|
|Concept Mapping||Individual or Group||15||Low||?||✔||✔||✔||Instructor||Google Drawings/Pen paper post-its|
|Defining Features Matrix||Individual or Group||10||Medium||?||✔||✔||✔||Peer/ Instructor||Padlet / Bb assignment/ Google Sheets|
|Drawing For Understanding||Individual||5||Low||?||?||✔||✔||Instructor||Google Drawings|
|Picture Prompt||Individual||5||Low||?||✔||✔||?||Peer/ Instructor||Padlet / Discussion Board|
|Pro And Con Grid||Individual or Group||10||Medium||?||✔||✔||✔||Peer/ Instructor||Blog / Wiki/Google Sheets|
|Ranking Alternatives||Group||10||High||?||✔||?||?||Peer/ Instructor||BB Surveys / TopHat|
|Student-Generated Test Questions||Individual||10||Low||?||?||✔||✔||Peer/ Instructor||TopHat/Kahoot/Poll Everywhere Surveys/Quizzes|
|Think-Pair-Share||Group||10||Low||?||✔||✔||✔||Peer/ Instructor||Kahoot/TopHat/Poll Everywhere|
|Twenty Questions||Group||10||Low||?||✔||✔||✔||Peer/ Instructor||TopHat/Kahoot/Poll Everywhere Surveys/Quizzes|
|What’s The Principle||Individual or Group||5||Medium||?||✔||✔||✔||Instructor||Discussion board|
For more information about individual tools, visit Technology Tools.
? = maybe ✔ = yes
Type: Can this activity be used with individuals, groups (2-5), or both?
Active Time: On average, how long does it take for students to complete this activity?
Grading Effort: On average, what level of grading effort is required from the instructor?
Content Delivery: Can this activity be used to deliver content?
Discussion: Can this activity be used to foster a discussion?
Content Check: Can this activity be used to review topics?
Summary: Can this activity be used to summarize topics?
Feedback: Who can give feedback during this activity?
Tool: What technology could help me execute this activity?
Considerations When Choosing an Activity
- What preparation is expected of students?
- How will you evaluate students’ work?
- What do you hope students accomplish by participating in this activity?