Learning Management Systems (LMS)
A Learning Management System (LMS) is a software platform that supports a range of uses from fully online courses to hybrid, blended, and flipped learning.
The LMS allows for delivery of materials and communication to students, administrations of tests and assignments, record keeping, early alerts, and more.
What is Canvas?
To log in to your Canvas course space, navigate to Canvas.wsu.edu and log in with your WSU NID and password to access Canvas.
If you are interested in a safe place to test ideas and play around in Canvas, you can request a Canvas sandbox (an empty course shell).
What is Kaltura Media Gallery?
Kaltura is AOI’s video platform. Offering a broad set of video storage and management tools and tightly integrated with Canvas, Kaltura provides a way to easily embed videos into an online course space.
What is a course “More Information” page?
All courses have a “More Information” page which is where students can go to find additional course-related information including, but not limited to, credits, a description, and textbooks.
More Information pages are available:
- in the Schedule of Classes. Select the More Information link listed with the course.
- in myWSU. In the Class Details/Notes section for the course, the web address for the page will be listed. Copy the web address and paste it in your browser.
Prior Syllabus Versions
For Global Campus, the More Information page also offers a link to prior iterations of the “Course Overview” and “Course Work” information from previous syllabus. The link will appear at the bottom of the More Information page.
Note for Faculty
- Due to the process being used, it is critical that the existing section header names of “Course Work” and “Course Overview” remain unchanged.
- The following information should not be added to the aforementioned sections:
- Semester-specific information (e.g., dates, events, etc.)
- Confidential information (e.g., codes)
- Name or contact information of the instructor or TAs
- Specifics about assignments (e.g., instructions, due dates, etc.)
- Any other information you do not want made public
- Best practices, creating a technology contingency plan
- Join the canvas alerts mailing list to receive email notifications about LMS updates, maintenance, and outage reports
Canvas Support Resources
- Visit our Tech Support page
- Learn how to access On-Demand Support
- Contact Academic Outreach and Innovation (AOI) Support:
email@example.com or 335-4320