Important: Global Campus Update, Fall 2022 (May 9, 2022)
AOI | Learning Innovations
Communication: Important: Global Campus Update, Fall 2022
Global Campus email dated May 9, 2022
Subject: Important: Global Campus Update, Fall 2022
Dear Global Campus Faculty,
We hope your spring semester has gone well, and we are excited to have you teach for Global Campus in upcoming academic terms. Please review the following updates so that you know how Global Campus is getting information out to students using the courses’ “More Information” page. Below you will find how you can help us upload the necessary information in a timely manner.
Communicating Fees for Global Campus Courses
As established by the Provost and EPPM #20, all course-related fees must be publicly available before the end of the first week of class so that students are aware of any financial requirements.
To communicate financial obligations in a timely manner for Global Campus Fall 2022 courses, please:
- Respond to the Course Verification Textbook, Media, and Proctored Exams requests as soon as you have that information.
- Provide this information August 5 (and no later than August 15) so that Global Campus staff has time to process the request.
Note: Without a response to the Course Verification messages by August 15, we cannot guarantee that the information will be available on time.
Students Pay ProctorU Exam Fees
ProctorU is a third-party service that is contracted through WSU to proctor exams in Global Campus classes. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, WSU paid the cost of ProctorU student exam fees, recognizing the financial hardship that many WSU students were enduring. Students will continue to have ProctorU fees waived by WSU through Summer Session 2022. Beginning Fall Semester 2022, students will pay $5 per ProctorU session for exams hosted in Canvas. There are a small number of exams hosted in third-party platforms, and the fee for those will be $10 per ProctorU session. Students pay the fee directly to ProctorU. WSU Global Campus is pleased to have negotiated a fee that is considerably less than the $18 exam fee that students were charged prior to the pandemic.
Previous Syllabus Versions Coming to More Information Page
What’s happening: The Global Campus team will be re-establishing a method to view previous syllabus versions when registering for a course. Text from two sections of the course syllabus in Canvas from prior semesters, e.g. Course Overview and Course Work, will be visible on the More Information page for each course in the WSU schedule of classes. The More Information page is where students in Global Campus courses find additional course-related information, including, but not limited to, textbooks, course overview, and course work.
The Course Overview and Course Work sections will be accessible to the general public as well as to students while viewing the schedule of classes. The process will begin with Fall 2022 courses.
What this means for you:
The following will be crucial –
- Due to the process being used, it is critical that the existing section header names in Canvas remain unchanged: “Course Overview” and “Course Work”
- The following information should not be added to these two sections of your Canvas course space (because it will be visible to the general public):
- Semester-specific information (e.g., dates, events, etc.)
- Confidential information (e.g., codes)
- Name or contact information of the instructor or TAs
- Specifics about assignments (e.g., instructions, due dates, etc.)
- Any other information you do not want made public
Contacts for Support
Global Campus Course Verification: Email CourseVerification@wsu.edu
Teaching on Global: Visit Teaching a Global Campus Course
Canvas tutorials: Visit WSU Knowledge Base or Canvas Learning Path
Scheduling inquiries: Contact your department or WSU Scheduling
Canvas Troubleshooting: Contact Crimson Service Desk
Vice Provost of Academic Affairs for Global Campus
Christie Kittle (she/her)
Assistant Director of Learning Innovations