The information and tutorial links below will help instructors get the most out of the Blackboard and Canvas learning management systems.
Managing Your Course
- Copying Content Between Bb Learn Course Spaces (pdf)
- Activating & Merging WSU Blackboard Course Spaces (pdf)
- Note: These instructions are for non-Global Campus courses.
- How to Create Announcements in Your Course
- How to Create an Assignment
- How to Create a Rubric for Grading Student Work
- Use SafeAssign in Assignments
- How to Upload Test Questions Using Excel
- How to Create a Test
- How to Create a Test Question
- How to Create a Random Block of Test Questions
- How to Set Test Options
- Note: Force Completion is not recommended due to problems related to students being “kicked out” of tests prematurely. We recommend using a timer with Auto-Submit instead.
- How to Set Exam Availability Exceptions
- Blackboard Browser Support
- Note: Internet Explorer is not supported.
- Browser Basics
- How to Clear Your Browsing History in Chrome
Transitioning from Blackboard to Canvas
For information on WSUs process for transitioning from Blackboard to Canvas, please visit LMS transition. There you will find
- Training options and contacts
- Transition schedule
- List of current and future canvas third party integrations
- Updates, maintenance and outage reports
Migrate Blackboard Content to Canvas
The production team is here to help! For assistance with migrating your Blackboard course content to Canvas, contact production. This team is experienced in content migration and will work with you to address any areas of concern or reworking during the process.
The IT Canvas Knowledge Base includes self-help instructions to migrate content from Blackboard to Canvas.
IT Services and Support
Please visit Information Technology Services (ITS) for general and technical assistance. If you would like the opportunity to familiarize yourself with the canvas environment, request a sandbox. For a closer look at the technical side of canvas, visit the IT Canvas Knowledge Base.
Canvas Tutorials and Training
Canvas provides an extensive list of tutorials in their Canvas Instructor Guide and their Video Guides. For other Learning Innovations canvas training options, visit the Learning Management System training page. If you can’t find what you are looking for, please contact us.
Faculty-Recommended Canvas Help
Many of your colleagues are excited about the LMS transition and recommend the following list of resources to help you become a canvas master!
- Keyboard Shortcuts for Canvas (pdf)
- Grading Schemes in Canvas
- Question Banks in Canvas
- Creating groups of questions for quizzes/exams in Canvas
- Creating and using question groups in Canvas (video)
- Adding time accommodations to exams in Canvas
- Using Canvas for quizzes, tests and exams
- Final Grade Submissions – Canvas LMS
- How to extend due date for 1 student in Canvas (video; Different from adding accommodations)