Distance Delivery Mastery Certificate
The Distance Delivery Mastery Certificate provides an opportunity for instructors to gain competence in all aspects critical to fostering student success in the distance delivery environment. Through trainings, and the support of Academic Outreach and Innovation (AOI), instructors will gain the knowledge and tools needed to successfully adapt their teaching style to the distance environment.
Earning this certificate allows instructors to build confidence and comfort in the distance environment thereby enriching their teaching, promoting student success, and documenting professional development.
Although this certificate has no set expiration date, further engagement with AOI may be necessary in response to changes in technology, best pedagogical practices, and NWCCU guidance.
To achieve this certificate, you must meet the following two requirements:
- Attend a minimum of three AOI trainings
- At least one must be from the Teaching from a Distance series
- Visit the AOI training calendar and register
- Complete this self-assessment
- Based on the criteria listed in the distance delivery rubric (pdf)
- Please allow approximately one hour to complete
Teaching From a Distance Series
Learning outcomes for each training are listed below.
Teaching from a Distance: Strategies and Best Practices
- Define essential terms associated with distance delivery.
- Organize your online course space using best practices.
- Identify expectations to define and communicate in an online environment.
- Identify strategies to engage students in multiple ways.
- Locate resources for creating accessible online content.
Teaching from a Distance: Community Building and Connection
- Define a Community-Centered environment
- Identify concrete steps to address challenges and support a community centered class
- Locate resources for further exploration.
- Discuss and address specific needs that you may have
Teaching from a Distance: Authentic Assessment
- Identify effective approaches for assessment in an online environment.
- Discuss the importance of using measurable learning outcomes as the foundation of assessment.
- Identify ways to organize students for self and peer assessment.
- Locate, adapt and use rubrics for outcomes-based assessment
- Discuss the use of formative assessment to support student’s learning.