Distance Delivery Mastery Certificate
The Distance Delivery Mastery Certificate provides an opportunity for instructors to gain competence in all aspects critical to fostering student success in the distance delivery environment. Through workshops, and the support of Academic Outreach and Innovation (AOI), instructors will gain the knowledge and tools needed to successfully adapt their teaching style to the distance environment.
Earning this certificate allows instructors to build confidence and comfort in the distance environment thereby enriching their teaching, promoting student success, and documenting professional development.
We will discuss the certificate in more detail at all workshops.
To achieve this certificate, you must meet the following requirements:
- Attend a minimum of three workshops offered by AOI between March 5 and August 15, 2020
- At least one of which must be a “Teaching from a Distance” offering
- Visit the workshop calendar and register
- Complete the self-assessment
- Self-assess your competency using the distance delivery rubric (pdf)
- Complete the reflection prompts
- What aspects of your online course design worked well for your students?
- What aspects of your online course design would you like to improve?
- What aspects of your online course design will you implement again?
- Which tech tools (Blackboard, Zoom, Panopto, VoiceThread, Perusall) did you use and how did you implement in your class?
- Are there aspects of distance delivery you will continue implementing even when returning to face-to-face course?
Teaching From a Distance Series
Learning outcomes for each of the Teaching from a Distance courses are listed below.
Teaching from a Distance: Strategies and Best Practices
- Define essential terms associated with distance delivery.
- Organize your online course space using best practices.
- Identify expectations to define and communicate in an online environment.
- Identify strategies to engage students in multiple ways.
- Locate resources for creating accessible online content.
Teaching from a Distance: Community Building and Connection
- Define a Community-Centered environment
- Identify concrete steps to address challenges and support a community centered class
- Locate resources for further exploration.
- Discuss and address specific needs that you may have
Teaching from a Distance: Assessing Students
- Identify effective approaches for assessment in an online environment.
- Discuss the importance of using measurable learning outcomes as the foundation of assessment.
- Identify ways to organize students for self and peer assessment.
- Locate, adapt and use rubrics for outcomes-based assessment
- Discuss the use of formative assessment to support student’s learning.