For Faculty: Proctored Exams
Note: This information is for in-person courses moved to online formats. For information about proctoring for Global Campus online courses, visit Global Campus For Faculty: Online Proctoring
Proctorio can proctor 100% online exams contained within the Blackboard course space.
- Students can take an exam with Proctorio 24/7, during the exam availability period you set in your Blackboard course space.
- Proctorio offers on-demand test taking so scheduling in advance is not needed. There is no cost to students for this service. Faculty must have approval from their Associate Dean to utilize these proctoring services.
- The computer from which students take their proctored exam must meet the technical requirements, which are outlined on Proctorio’s System Requirements page. Students are required to use Google Chrome and add an extension to their Chrome browser, which takes less than a minute to install.
- Live chat is available for students who need assistance.
More information is available for students: For Students: Proctored Exams
- Unlike face to face exams, online exams are often available (open to students) for an extended time period, (eg 24-48 hours) allowing students to log in and take the exam at a time most convenient to them. Alternatively, you can set the exam to be available only during your scheduled class time and all students will complete at the same time.
- Blackboard exam settings also allow for randomizing the presentation order of the questions and answers.
- Using Google Chrome, navigate to the content folder the exam is placed in and make sure edit mode is on.
- Under the “Tools” dropdown select “More Tools” and then “Secure Exam Proctor.”
- A new page will open to add the “Secure Exam Proctor” link. Do not change the Link Name. Click the submit button to add the link. The link will allow instructors and students to use Proctorio in the course.
- Move the “Secure Exam Proctor” link so it is above your exam. It must be placed at a higher spot than any of the exams you want proctored.
- Install the Proctorio extension if you haven’t already.
While using Google Chrome, go to getproctorio.com. Select the link to Install Proctorio Chrome Extension.
- Select the “Secure Exam Proctor” link you just created to ensure your Proctorio extension is working correctly. The page that opens should say “Secure Exam Proctor Plugin Successfully Installed! Please return to your course.” Students can also use this link to download Google Chrome and the Proctorio Extension.
- Edit the “test options” of your exam.
- A new page will open. At the bottom of the page select “Remote Proctoring” and choose your “Proctorio Exam Settings.” The settings under “Proctorio Exam Settings” will be locked in once students start taking exams. The settings under “Proctorio Behavior Settings” can be adjusted at anytime. If you want to know more about a particular setting use the tool tips or contact Proctorio Support.
- Use the submit button to save your changes.
- Your exam should now have the Secure Exam Proctor Link above it and the title should have “(Remotely Proctored)” at the end of it.
Proctorio supports extended time accommodations providing they are in place prior to the student taking the exam.
- Many accommodations involve extra time (e.g., double time) to take online exams. Instructors are responsible for setting up those extended time accommodations.
- If you have a student needing extended time, refer to How to Set Test Exceptions in Blackboard Learn for a brief tutorial.
- If you need assistance or would like someone to make sure your extended time accommodation for your online exam has been set up correctly, please contact WSU Global Campus Accommodation Support at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to help.
- Proctorio has a proctoring limit of 5 hours. Alternative proctoring options may need to be considered if a student’s accommodated extra time extends the exam beyond 5 hours.
Proctorio is unable to recognize most other disability related testing accommodations.
- Proctorio has no way of recognizing individual testing accommodations, so alternative proctoring or testing options should be considered.
Review the exam recordings in your Proctorio Gradebook within the Blackboard Course space.
The Proctorio gradebook is where you’ll access recordings and information pertaining to your students’ proctoring sessions.
- Log into Blackboard and go into your course space.
- Make sure you have the Proctorio extension downloaded and active. You can check this by selecting Secure Exam Proctor in your assessments folder.
Once you select the link, it should indicate Secure Exam Proctor Plugin Successfully Installed! Please return to your course. Select your course id to return to your course space.
- Go to the Full Grade Center
- Find the column for the proctored exam you would like to review, select the drop down, and select View Proctorio Gradebook.
- For detailed information on using the Proctorio Gradebook, select Learn more about the Proctorio Gradebook, located at the top of the page. If you have questions regarding the Proctorio Gradebook, please contact Proctorio Support.
Proctorio Troubleshooting Tip
If the Proctorio extension does not seem to work, try selecting the Secure Exam Proctor link. It should indicate Secure Exam Proctor Plugin Successfully Installed! Please return to your course.
Tech Support for Faculty
Blackboard Learn Learning Management System Technical Support
WSU Online Support
Proctoring Technical Support
Live Chat: Proctorio support staff is available 24/7 to help you. The fastest and easiest way to contact support is using “the shield” icon in the top right corner of your Chrome browser. This icon is only present on exam pages after you install the extension.
- Email: email@example.com
- Local: 480-428-4089
- Toll-Free: 866-948-9248