Class Recordings Retention Policy
Class recordings are available up to 30 days after the class end date for videoconference courses and two weeks into the next semester for non-videoconference courses. Due to FERPA restrictions, videoconference courses will be deleted. Instructors must report incomplete grades prior to avoid deletion. Instructors may access non-videoconference recordings, after the two week period, via wsu.hosted.panopto.com. Instructors can share recordings, via the hosted Panopto website, if they wish to allow student access.
- What is FERPA?
Please visit Notification of Student Rights Under FERPA for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Information.
- Are video or audio recordings of classroom lectures a protected student record?
If a recording includes only the instructor, it is not a student record and FERPA does not limit its use. If the recording includes students asking questions, making presentations or leading a class (other than TAs), and it is possible to identify the student, then it does constitute protected educational records.
- I am an instructor and want to share the recording of past classes with my current class. Can I do this?
Under FERPA, this situation must be treated as if the recordings were being shown to a third-party audience which requires FERPA compliance through use of consents or de-identification of any students depicted. Videoconference courses capture student images and therefore are not able to be shared. Courses recorded by the instructor, in room, using a Cougar Capture tool do not capture student images and can be shared.
- I am an instructor. How do I share past course recordings not in FERPA violation?
Courses not falling under the protection of FERPA may be accessed within your Blackboard course space for one year after the course end date. After that, all recordings may be accessed via wsu.hosted.panopto.com.
- I am an instructor and have a student with an incomplete grade. How do I grant them continued access to course recordings?
Contact the AOI team at firstname.lastname@example.org for all WSU courses.
- I am an instructor and want to make my course accessible. Who do I contact?
Contact the AOI media team at email@example.com.
- Who do I contact if I need assistance?
If you do not see the answer to your question in the FAQs, please send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I am a student and want to watch the recording of past classes. How do I access these files?
Via your Blackboard course space, you have up to 30 days after the class end date for videoconference courses and two weeks into the next semester for non-videoconference courses.
- I am a student and would like to download or get a copy of my class recording. How can I do this?
Videoconference courses cannot be downloaded due to FERPA restrictions. Please contact your instructor for access to non-videoconference courses.